|Discover and support Nottinghamshire artists & makers in these ‘virtual studios’ and by exploring the OSNotts website – if physical visits become possible these will be announced here and on our social media channels.|
Tina is planning an open studio event on 5-6 June, 11 to 4:30 (see below for more info).
NATURE AND PLANT PHOTOGRAPHY
Exploring the qualities of plants and what they teach us about being human, experimenting with painterly photographic effects.
The Cottage, Main Street, Flintham NG23 5LA
Writer, author and photographer, I inherited my love of plants and gardening from my green-fingered parents. Flattened by grief after the death of my father and losing my sense of place and rootedness after giving up our family home of 55 years, I found solace in the garden and in flower/plant photography. In 2020 I discovered the Lensbaby range of lenses for creating painterly and creative effects in camera and a whole new world opened up; a world I am now keenly exploring.
TINA BETTISON – STUDIO
My studio is largely outdoors in nature, and most of my flower and plant photographs are taken in either my garden or on my allotment. I always have my iPhone to hand on dog walks and often snap something on my phone, then return later with the camera to get the shot I want. Although I do some post production on my laptop in my creative corner at home, most of my images are in-camera shots with very little, if any, additional work in Photoshop.
Open Studio: Sat 5th & Sun 6th June, 11 to 4:30. ♦ Weather permitting! ♦ No wheelchair access ♦ Three parts to each day:
- Workshop: 11am – 12pm Shooting Flower Portraits (on mobile devices) on both days.
- PLEASE BOOK ON EVENTBRITE.
- Places limited to 10 people each day.
- Instagram Live Tours of the garden: 1pm on both Sat 5 June & Sun 6 June.
- Garden Open: 2pm to 4.30pm both days for visitors to see the flowers and plants that I’ll be photographing while they are in bloom.
- There is no need to book for this.
- Please note it is outdoors only so dress for the weather that turns up.
- Advance warnings: The garden is not accessible for wheelchair users. I have a very large pond so children must be supervised at all times. Roadside parking.
- Lunch/refreshments are available at The Boot and Shoe pub in Flintham. It is advisable to book in advance for food – www.thebootandshoeinn.co.uk.
TINA BETTISON – WORK
As a nature and plant photographer, my main interest is in taking close up shots of my subject matter – which is mostly plants, flowers, trees and occasionally portraits of my dogs. My aim is to capture the essence of the subject in a painterly portrait style. I mainly shoot in natural light and with the plant in its habitat. Occasionally I will pick flowers from the garden or bring specimens home to photograph.
If you are interested in this work, please contact the artist directly through the links above.
Open Studio: 5-6 June, 11 to 4:30 (see above).