|Discover and support Nottinghamshire artists & makers in these ‘virtual studios’ and by exploring the OSNotts website – if physical visits become possible these will be announced here and on our social media channels.
Surface Studio Artists are planning an open studio event on 5-6 June, 12-4pm (see below for more info).
PAINTING, PRINTMAKING, SCULPTURE, MIXED MEDIA, CERAMICS, ILLUSTRATION, INSTALLATION
9 studios on 1st floor.
Surface Gallery, Nottingham NG1 1DL
01159 470793 / 07522 407947
0115 947 0793
THE EVENT – The Surface Studio Artists will be opening the doors to their creative work spaces on the 5th and 6th of June! This is an opportunity to witness an energetic and evolving environment which is home to ten creative practitioners working in a range of materials and methods.
- Since its founding in 1999, Surface (previously known as Surface Gallery) has held contemporary exhibitions and events regularly over the years, supporting local and emerging artists, and developing a strong network with different Nottingham based entities.
- Alongside these events and exhibitions, Surface has offered studio spaces for 12 years, encouraging an inclusive and vibrant community of artists and creators to develop around the hub of Surface. The Surface Studio Artists occupy a dedicated joint studio space on the second floor, a space surrounded by the creative buzz of Surface itself.
- The current residing artists of Surface Studio are eclectic, with varying practices, styles, ages and backgrounds. The Surface Studio Artists’ work is showcased annually in a group exhibition held by Surface, this year the show will open on the 25th of June. Like many creatives, the Studio Artists are looking forward to showing work in public once again.
- The Surface Studios house a group of individuals with multifaceted practices and unique artistic identities. Currently: Alison Squires, Caitlin Hickling, Paul Henegan, Play Press, Georgia Fry, Peter Lumley, Geraldine Henegan Barr, Hannah Johnston, Melody Marshall, Olivia Wileman.
- A walk through the studios lends an insight into the processes of the current artists, ranging from print to oil paint, sculpture to assemblage, sound work, and street art.
- The artists at Surface Studios are a mixture of emerging and established creative practitioners. The studios also provide a home to a selection of small, independent businesses run by current studio members; more information surrounding the artists work can be found on the Surface website in the ‘Studio Artists’ section, or experienced in person during the annual group exhibition on the 25th June.
Open Studio: 5-6 June, 12-4pm
- No wheelchair access to studios.
Gerry Henegan Barr: